Sunday, 24 January 2016

Signature style

I've been thinking about 'signature' style... Personally, I like to experiment with how I dress, so I don't really have a specific style or a 'uniform'. What I think is really nice, though, is having that one 'signature item' you (almost always) wear, so it becomes your thing. Kind of like Miranda Presley's white Hermès scarves in the Devil Wears Prada book ;)

signature items: my new favourite gloves, the earring I never take off, my vintage watch, coral red nail polish, and a souvenir from Istanbul...
&other stories gloves, essie 'Park Avenue' nail polish , all else vintage/unknown
For me, those 'signature' items always end up being jewelry, when I think about it. They change every couple of years, of course, but they are the one constant in my style. I'm not much of a jewelry person (I always forget to put it on unless it's for a special occasion), so usually I just have on whatever jewelry has become almost part of my body at the moment... I even sleep with it on a lot of the time I'm so used to it!

When I was younger, I had a set of bangles that I always wore; after that it was my stud earrings that I actually felt weird without, and then there was also a summer (and autumn) when I refused to take off my ankle bracelet...

Maybe it's a sign of growing up, but I feel that each thing I currently wear every day also carries a special meaning or memory. Even though it wasn't on purpose, it's nice having that on me all the time, especially since I'm not the type who keeps pictures of people in my room or anything like that. It also reminds me of my grandmother, who, for as long as can I remember, has been wearing the pair of gold earrings that her children got her for her birthday one year -isn't that the nicest signature style ever, one that means something so personal it's literally part of you?

my anti-evil eye bracelet that I bought in Istanbul
my anti-evil eye bracelet from Istanbul

Changing 'signature' items also signpost the different times in one's life and the way you change -now that I'm growing up and have known my friends for ridiculously long, I've started noticing this more: a ring gifted by a significant other to mark a relationship, or a logo pendant replaced after years of not taking it off, a sign of a chapter in their life coming to a close and new ones beginning.

Right now, my jewelry 'armour' consists of my mom's watch (I'm one of those freaks that like to have the time on their left wrist at all times), an eye bracelet that I bought in Istanbul in the summer (it drives away the evil eye and makes a stylish souvenir), and one of those wish strings you tie around your wrist and then wait for them to fall off so your wish comes true (6 months later, I'm still waiting... but we got them together with my 4 friends, so I don't really mind). Lately, I've also been wearing a single small earring (my mom found it when she was my age), so I think it's time to get a second ear piercing and finally give it a proper place (so I can also wear other earrings at the same time!)... I also included the nail polish in the pictures because lately I'm always wearing some -this one is a really nice shade of coral red.

&other stories gloves, essie nail polish, vintage jewelry, fig leaf candle

The gloves in the picture are my mom's Christmas present and they are so beautiful I only just dared spoil their perfection and actually wear them, but they're already becoming part of my (winter) uniform, so I had to show them to you!

And finally: I've never really been into perfume, but my mom (I feel like this whole post is about her -Happy Birthday mom!) used to wear Philosykos, which smells like fig leaves, when I was little, and I've come to really love the perfume. We discovered a greek company that makes great scented candles, and they had one that smelled exactly like that. I've been burning it in my room since I got it and it's crazy how much a scent can give a space a certain aura... It always puts me in a peaceful mood when the room smells like a fig tree, and I wouldn't mind making this 'my' scent.

Voilà! What's your signature, feel-naked-without thing? Is it a piece of jewelry? Maybe your favourite eyeliner? A scent you always wear? Or is it something more original, like dressing in one colour head to toe? Let me know!



1 comment:

  1. just so you don't wonder, I feel naked without your love. Mom

    ReplyDelete