The other day I thought of making a tabbouleh-inspired salad, replacing the traditional bulgur with quinoa. Quinoa is an awesome superfood (as we are all aware by now :P), and I think it actually works even better than bulgur because it gives the tabbouleh extra texture and 'bite'.
This salad is very satisfying, yet at the same time zingy and fresh -perfect for spring (can you tell I'm excited?)! I supercharged my tabbouleh with roasted vegetables and chickpeas, but it's up to you to play with the recipe: leave out the oven veggies or add diced peppers, for example. The Mediterranean-inspired herbs and spices are what really makes the tabbouleh literally burst with flavour...
This salad is very satisfying, yet at the same time zingy and fresh -perfect for spring (can you tell I'm excited?)! I supercharged my tabbouleh with roasted vegetables and chickpeas, but it's up to you to play with the recipe: leave out the oven veggies or add diced peppers, for example. The Mediterranean-inspired herbs and spices are what really makes the tabbouleh literally burst with flavour...
Quinoa Tabouleh Super Salad
This recipe makes a big batch to share with friends -or save for later so you don't have to worry about lunch the next day. It has complex carbohydrates and a good amount of protein from the quinoa and chickpeas, which will keep you satisfied for longer. It also contains some healthy fats from the tahini and olive oil and plenty of fibre and vitamins. So I'd say it makes for a pretty balanced, vegan-friendly meal. I'm thinking this might be one for my friend Yana, who liked a similar (couscous) salad I made and who's always excited about healthy but delicious recipes.
Ingredients
1 cucumber
500 g tomatoes -I used mini vine tomatoes
1 carrot
1/2 bunch mint
1/2 bunch basil (or 1 bunch parsley)
200g cooked chickpeas
100g sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
1 cup (uncooked) red quinoa
Oven vegetables (optional)
1 eggplant
1 courgette
1 clove garlic
Dried rosemary, oregano and/or thyme, for sprinkling
olive oil, for drizzling
Seasonings
1 lemon
1 tbsp tomato paste (if you happen to have it)
1 tsp paprika/ 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it hot!)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp tahini
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
water for thinning, as needed
salt&pepper
Let's do it!
Start by preheating the oven to 200C. Slice, then dice the eggplant and courgette in medium chunks, and spread them on a baking tray with a whole, unpeeled clove of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with whatever herbs you like, toss, then bake until they are nicely cooked and beginning to brown (about 35 minutes, maybe more depending on your oven).
While the vegetables are baking, make your quinoa. Measure out a cup of quinoa and 2 cups of cold water, put them in a pot with a pinch of salt and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is cooked and the water has evaporated (about 15 minutes).
Meanwhile, finely dice the (peeled) cucumber and tomato. Peel and grate the carrot. Chop the sundried tomatoes in small pieces, and chop the herbs finely. Zest half the lemon. Reserve.
When the quinoa is ready, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the tomato paste and mix well while it's still warm.
Once your oven vegetables are ready, remove from oven and let cool for a little. Take the garlic clove, discard the peel and mash, then use for the dressing.
Make the dressing: combine juice from the lemon, spices, tahini, olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, mashed garlic, salt and pepper and mix well. Thin with water until it's quite runny so that it will cover all the ingredients.
Add all the remaining ingredients (chopped herbs and vegetables, chickpeas, roasted vegetables) and dressing to the quinoa, mix well and adjust the salt/pepper/lemon/spices.
Serve and enjoy :)


No comments:
Post a Comment