Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Summer essentials (incl. iced espresso, the Greek way)

Greece was amazing. I got the sunshine, technology break (well... a not so radical one ;)) and time to catch up with friends that I needed. Not to mention finally having access to proper iced coffee... I carefully observed how it's made so I can tell you how it's done --check it out at the end of the post ;)


John P shirt (a Greek brand), h&m shorts (old), & other stories crossbody bag (bought in the sale!), leather shoes bought in Spain 



What I loved about this holiday was keeping everything simple --including dressing... I already discussed minimalist packing earlier this summer, so now I thought I would show you an example of how a few (strategically-chosen) pieces will work for just about anything...



This classic, long linen shirt --half-unbuttoned and sleeves rolled up- is perfect tucked into denim shorts for strolling around the city on summer days. Once on the island, I wear it over my bikini to head to the beach (and button it up into a dress to go from beach to taverna), and keep it on hand to use instead of a light jacket on breezy nights. There you go --one piece, three ways to wear it!



my mom took these so of course I couldn't keep a straight face :)


I told you this year's summer concept was basically denim shorts with everything! Besides them and this shirt, all my holiday wardrobe consisted of are a couple of simple tees and a going-out top (yes I call them that!) or two. I recently bought this one at Zara and am really loving the dramatic sleeves trend... I like to pair it with earrings and magenta lipstick --so much so that I forgot to take better pictures, whoops...


                 

Apart from that, swimwear (including swimsuits that double up as tops!) and a few accessories are all I really needed... This summer's favourites have all been in the details and grooming for me:

-brightly painted toenails,
-a boho uber-mini bag to carry some cash and nothing else,
-tanned skin (always using SPF kids) perfumed by the Monoi oil I've been using after showering (it's basically coconut oil mixed in with some delicious-smelling essential oils, and I apply it everywhere, including my hair), 
-a flick of black mascara and
-the occasional addition of a statement earring or bold lip come nighttime.


urban outfitter sunglasses (6 euro in the sale!), m&s autograph nail polish, mango earrings (i just got them in the sale and can't wait to wear them with the zara top!), vintage bag


Doesn't it sound a dream?... Too bad it had to end --for now, at the very least. In the meantime, here's a little reminder of Greece you can make at home, in the form of espresso freddo (iced espresso, Greeks' summertime essential and a personal favourite). Here's how to make it in four steps:

cradling my glass of espresso freddo

-Make an espresso. Add sugar if you take it --for medium-sweet coffee, I add 2 tsp-- and stir to dissolve.

-Fill a glass halfway up with ice cubes and set aside.

-In a cocktail shaker (or a jar), add one big ice cube and pour in your espresso. Shake well.

-Pour your now cold and frothy espresso freddo onto your rocks, grab a straw and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment