This time I thought I'd do something a little bit different from my usual informal, everyday outfits: what I wear when I have something a bit more 'special' to go to. As a student, it doesn't happen every week, but I've definitely dressed up a few times already this year. And while my LBD gets regularly worn, well, there's only so many ways you can wear the same dress... So lately, I'm all about the separates -my theory being that a few slightly dressier separates can be combined in many different ways, which also means that you can dress them up or down!
And so, without further ado, I give you exhibit A (with the awesome background of my 'workspace'). I had to go to another 20's-themed party and didn't really have anything 20's, so I just went with 'old school glamour'...
I'm wearing a vintage corset top, my mom's old wolford skirt (not as close-fitting as I'd like it to but ok...), golden 'leaf' earrings, ferragamo sandals (you can check them out from up close here, if you so desire), my watch and random hair elastic (you're supposed to take your watch etc. off for 'formal' things, but I always forget :P). This is a mere reproduction, but my awesome friend had put my hair in soft curls and I had it swept to one side. I also wore my dark berry lipstain.
I have to say that when I moved out and took this corset top* with me, I didn't really think I would be wearing it much -but actually, it's been quite useful for all the formal shenanigans I've had to attend lately -I've pulled up a FB picture of me wearing it to a uni event in September on a worse hair day. I'd paired it with my simple jersey long grey skirt (may it rest in piece, it got really holey and I had to throw it out) and it looked like a dress.
It only goes to show the power of separates: A dressy top and a skirt that could be worn with a more casual outfit = appropriate. The heels also help, of course :)
*This top is actually from a 3-piece skirt suit that my mom bought in the 80's/90's. It's all the same dark grey striped fabric with big lace trims, but I left the two other pieces behind: the blazer has huge shoulderpads and a bow on the back (um, no thanks!), and last time I checked the skirt didn't fit. I really like the shape of the top, but I had to sew the lace trim so that it wouldn't stick out from the top as much -this is the more minimal, Cristina-friendly version.

No comments:
Post a Comment