I'm a huge soup lover, so apologies for the overload but hey! At least it's good for you.* After Halloween, I blogged about using your pumpkins to make soup (here). I found a recipe that recommends roasting pumpkin halves (pre-gutted) in the oven at 200C for about an hour to an hour and a half and then scooping out the dense, sweet flesh out to make a quick soup (thanks internet!). I haven't tried boiling the pumpkin instead of roasting it, but in any case this method gives an already delicious combo such a smooth, velvety texture that I probably won't bother trying anything else!
I don't follow the recipe exactly cause that's not my jam -I just use whatever and however much I have**-, but sage works really really well with the pumpkin***. Just use your intuition!
2. Risotto.
Go out there and find the perfect recipe (and then share it!), or just play it by ear and softly fry onion and garlic in either butter or oil, then add risotto rice and cubed pumpkin (find your perfect equation) and stir for a couple of minutes, then deglaze with white wine until it's evaporated, then add stock and seasoning and either frantically stir or just blag it and bang the lid shut to let the steam do the work for you (don't forget to check it from time to time though!). When the rice is ready (not overcooked), the risotto should be sticky but not dry. Add some grated parmesan and maybe a knob of butter, adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
Go out there and find the perfect recipe (and then share it!), or just play it by ear and softly fry onion and garlic in either butter or oil, then add risotto rice and cubed pumpkin (find your perfect equation) and stir for a couple of minutes, then deglaze with white wine until it's evaporated, then add stock and seasoning and either frantically stir or just blag it and bang the lid shut to let the steam do the work for you (don't forget to check it from time to time though!). When the rice is ready (not overcooked), the risotto should be sticky but not dry. Add some grated parmesan and maybe a knob of butter, adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
*Mostly, anyways. And speaking of not-so-healthy soups, I really wanna try is this one.
** It's funny how before I lived on my own I would always follow the recipe to the letter, and now that I live on my own I just take the instructions as 'suggestions' and adapt them to my own needs.
*** You could also season this soup with curry, though. Just fry some curry paste and ginger with the onion and maybe add some coriander at the end.
*** You could also season this soup with curry, though. Just fry some curry paste and ginger with the onion and maybe add some coriander at the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment