You might say this list is boring. It's definitely on the 'safe' side. But when it comes to gifts, it's all about making the other person happy, not taking the craziest risk, so here are some of my ideas on how to do that.
![]() |
| & Other Stories gift set, €35 |
One last thing: I tried to keep this list realistic budget-wise, but obviously that depends on each person's interpretation. Please don't for a second think I'm trying to tell you how much your presents should cost. You can spend as much or as little as you like. At the end of the day, the best presents I get are always my sisters' drawings, so just remember it's the thought that counts ;)
-A good scented candle. I love the relaxing, sanctuary-like atmosphere they lend to my room. Aside from making your place smell amazing, they make disconnecting at night and falling asleep much easier. Just buy a good quality brand so that the smell is subtle sophisticated rather than overpowering and chemical-y.
-Winter essentials: A good scarf is something every (wo)man needs and will definitely appreciate. A solid colour is a good bet as it will go with most things -it can be a classic grey or a bold clementine, for example. You will have a very happy recepient! This will probably be the gift they use the most ;)
My favourite scarves are huge and made from wool that holds its shape, like these ones from &Other Stories and COS. H&M also does all-wool and cashmere-blend scarves for a good price, and I also found this lovely hairy scarf that's really budget-friendly there. Otherwise, how about a little knitted hat?
![]() |
| COS wool-cashmere blend scarf, €69 -comes in more colours. |
-While we're on the subject: cashmere makes for the ultimate luxurious gift -it's like wearing a soft, fuzzy hug... But it doesn't have to be crazy expensive -you can get a classic cashmere sweater from H&M for about 70 euros -I would pick a grey or navy blue one. It's a great gift for everyone, irrespective of age or gender. I wear mine with jeans (or dress it up with heels), my dad can wear his over a shirt and so on... Choose a crew- or V-neck style with a relaxed fit -it will always look chic.
![]() |
| H&M Premium Quality women's cashmere sweater, €69. |
![]() |
| Me 'n my cashmere sweater (old one from zara) |
Another idea for a classic gift that feels luxurious (but doesn't cost the world): this simple and chic silk tee from Weekday that will go with pretty much everything.
![]() |
| Weekday mulberry silk tee, €45. |
-Beauty: this can be a little trickier -it's good to have some idea of the person's preferences. For example, I have a friend who loves a particular brand of nail polish, so I will get her a gift set from there (I love sets of mini nail polishes -you get more colours for your money!). If you know what your friend's/grandma's/whatever favourite perfume is, getting her a bottle of it -or maybe its shower lotion version for a change?- is a fail-safe bet... and so on. If you have no idea, here's something I think that something most women who wear makeup will appreciate:
![]() |
| Eyeko Look Me In The Eyeliner and Say That mascara and eyeliner gift set, €32 via TheOutnet.com |
Tip: Buy your beauty gifts at the airport if you can, you get exclusive deals and it's duty-free ;)
-Art poster: if you know of an artist or a particular piece of art that your friend likes, an art poster is a thoughtful and relatively inexpensive gift -I personally love hanging pictures on my walls and your friend will definitely appreciate you choosing something you know they love. If you need inpiration, these are favourites:
![]() |
| The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai |
![]() |
| Blue Nude by Henri Mattisse -all his collages are awesome actually. |
-Newspaper/magazine subscription: find out what their favourite publication is. Buy them a subscription (make sure they're not subscribed already though!), and you're basically giving them a year-long gift; they will love you. My personal suggestions would be The New Yorker, Vogue, Intelligent Life...
-Edibles: As a huge food lover, I couldn't not include something edible -and I actually think it's a really clever way to solve gift dilemmas! Almost everyone loves chocolate, for example -a luxe selection of high-quality chocolate bars, or truffles, is an easy way to please. For those in the Netherlands, I really like Tony Chocolonely's chocolate: they work really hard to put out as fairly produced as possible products, not to mention high-quality and delicious -I've tried almost all their flavours, all in the interest of research for this post, obviously. If your friend is a tea/coffee lover, you can get them fancy tea or coffee: it's one of those things that people don't usually buy for themselves, but everyone loves receiving it, so pamper your loved ones a little!
-Immaterial gifts: Theatre tickets or a cinema pass? Dance classes? A cooking class you can take together? The options are endless...








No comments:
Post a Comment