During a sleepless night yesterday (missing my bed), I was thinking about how I have quite a few clothes that I rarely wear because they only work under certain conditions: this top is too sheer for most occasions, that top has a huge hole in it so it has to be worn tucked into something high waisted, that skirt is too short to sit down in… What to do then? I do think that editing my wardrobe down to get rid of clothes that just sit there unworn/clothes that fit wrong and don’t do me any favours would simplify getting dressed and looking good with less effort… But I’m not sure that I want to adopt a ‘uniform’ of sorts. Even though my style doesn’t fluctuate dramatically -I’m quite true to my tastes and don’t change my wardrobe according to the fashion dictats-, I like the idea adapting my clothes to my mood and being able to experiment.
In other words, I’m not ready to settle for a style… And yes, I know that building a wardrobe of classics is the thing to do if you want to be chic, and not that I disagree, but I also want my way of dressing to be unique -in a discreet, but tangible way. I don’t want to look like a million other women in my trench coat and black ballet flats or whatever, because there is no reason to! So that brings me to my other point. Do I keep the corset top passed on from my mom’s 80’s wardrobe that I’ve worn, oh let’s see, once in two years? It’s fun to wear, but in daily life it’s cluttering my wardrobe. Yet isn’t it a pity to get rid of something I love, even if it’s a little dysfunctional?
I think the commitment that I’m going to make for now is edit down my collection of not-so-practical clothes to those that are at least wearable (and after a certain degree of deconstruction, even I have to admit defeat) but keep them, and from now on focus on buying only quality building blocks. Now, on the unlikely possibility that you’re still reading after all this rambling, any thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment