
I’m having a bit of a style crisis (but don’t worry, this happens more or less twice a month). I could compare it with a battle between Aristotle and postmodernism!
On the one hand I want to have a style that’s essential, well-defined, that feels natural and is part of me. I have an idea of what that style would be like* (but not necessarily the funds to make it happen!) -but basically the idea is that you have a sort of safe zone that makes you feel yourself, cool and sophisticated no matter what.
On the other hand, I also like the idea of playing with my style -I often do little “impersonations” with my outfit: today I’m from the 70’s, tomorrow I’m a character from an Almodovar movie (you can find all of my ‘inspired by’ or sort of dress-up outfits under the dress-up tag). But this also involves getting out of my comfort zone, and obviously not everyone will get my subtle yet clever and academic (yeah right) pastiches of cultural landmarks… **
So what to do?
I think I’ll just keep experimenting. Wear whatever I feel comfortable and stylish in. Be inspired. At the end of the day, I think that personal style is not something you can devise overnight; it slowly evolves through time. However, style is something to be constructed, and for this reason I’m extra careful about the purchases I make these days: I try to only buy things that will really go with the aesthetic I’m trying to adopt, but are also classic enough to survive the test of time. This is where my ‘essentials’ list comes in :)
*mainly minimal (but still existent colour) and simple, sophisticated shapes. The problem is that my attempts to go towards that style are …not working. My friend told me I’m ‘bohemian’. Obviously I’m doing something wrong. :(
**which brings me to a different but relevant point: I shouldn’t care. Why do I care what others think?
No comments:
Post a Comment