Monday, 11 November 2013

Taste Before You Waste!

Taste Before You Waste is an organization started by a student in my University. They pick up food (mostly fruit and vegetables) that supermarkets can’t sell any more because it’s not 100% perfect. Normally supermarkets throw this food out, and (I think) they give most of it to charity and, once a week, they bring back a load of fruit and veg for us poor students! I think this is not only a great initiative -most of the time the food is perfectly eatable and you don’t waste anything, but also (on a more selfish note) a great way to eat healthy food for free!


This past week, I made leek and parsnip soup from 2 big leeks and a parsnip that I picked up. All I added was an onion, a bit of carrot I had left and a stock cube… and guess what -it was yummy! I had it with a grilled-cheese-and-tomato pitta.

image



And yesterday I got (among other things) a big bunch of coriander which I’m so happy about. I proceeded to make carrot-coriander-pea burgers. I usually make them with beans not peas, but I thought I’d experiment and they were great! I have my burgers in a pitta bun with tomato, cheese or mushrooms if I’m feeling fancy. I had one for lunch with green tea latte (what I call green tea with soy milk and vanilla sugar) and strawberry yogurt :)

image



I also got some bananas which are great to eat just as is, in a smoothie, or, if you want a healthy dessert, here’s what I discovered you can do: peel a banana, wrap it in tinfoil, twirl the ends closed (like a candy wrapper) and pop it in the oven on about 200 for 20 minutes or so (you want it to be soft). Delicious as is, with a little cinnamon or vanilla sugar sprinkled over or (if you’re not feeling that healthy) with some ice cream!

Last but not least: those Halloween pumpkins make very yummy soup (or curry), so don’t let them go to waste!


No comments:

Post a Comment