Sunday, 25 September 2016

Business-y

So, this is another one of those times where I need to dress like a grown-up... I hate wearing anything that makes me feel like I'm in costume, pretending to be some older, respectable lady.

That said, it's sometimes necessary to wear something other than jeans... On the upside, I've discovered that I can make the same top I wore to drinks in Greece (feels like a lifetime ago now!) work for a professional look that still feels me. Id est, hopefully: modern and fashionable yet appropriate.




I really like the poplin fabric of this Zara top. Even though it means you can't avoid a little ironing sesh*, once it's nice and crisp, it's a smart-looking, modern equivalent to the classic shirt (which, by the way, is a much bigger pain to iron, not to mention get the right fit). And I love how the sleeves subtly play with volume without being over-the-top.

wearing zara top, vintage navy wool trousers, topshop shoes

Since this top is cropped, I paired it with these high-waisted pants which are cut generously on the leg for a sober look, then taper at the ankle, which I always love --and they go perfectly with these Topshop slip-on loafers.


I think these are probably one of the most overtly fashion-y things I've ever bought, and I've had my doubts about whether they were a good buy since I got them in London... But even though they're definitely not for long walks, I love how they look smart and kind of elegantly masculine, but also fashion-forward and a little bit cheeky by leaving the heel uncovered. They're also infinitely practical for sneakily slipping off under your desk, which I'm all for ;)

I wish I had better pictures of this but you can have fun in this outfit, too --I went to drinks as I was but if you're a better planner than I am you can even throw a tube of berry lipstick and some earrings in your bag to jazz things up. And flats are the new party shoe --I'm telling you right now--, so no need to bother with heels. You'll dance, walk, pirouette with much more gusto. ;)



*I swear it only takes 2 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment