Saturday, 8 October 2016

Shopping list

So, I know I go on about how fashion is not all about consumerism, and that it's preferable to buy vintage/second-hand, and that style is not about how much you spend...




And i stand by all of it --if you look at my outfit on any given day, chances are half the things I'm wearing have been stolen from my mom's closet passed down/thrifted, and although I like experimenting with trends, I usually find creative ways to dip my toe in trends with things I already have. I only buy something 'fashiony' when I've been wanting it for a while so I'm sure I actually like it --not just because it was ubiquitous for a while (which is the reason why I gave into the Stan Smith craze about 3 years after everyone else... :P).

That said... there are also times like this when the sales are on, and you're craving a little bit of fast fashion. Like junk food, I've started to regard it as a guilty pleasure, especially since I'm becoming increasingly aware of the social and environmental impact of fast fashion --never mind the state of hysteria that the process of obsessing, buying and then hating clothes within the span of six months induces. And yet I do crave a quick fashion fix sometimes --the kind of thing I can browse for online and comfortably click home from my couch at 11pm after a long day, no dressing rooms, no digging through piles for hidden treasures. Add free delivery and returns and the deal is sealed.

With that in mind, I thought I would share the things that are on my mental shopping list this season --some are impulse wants, and some are bigger buys I'm mulling over (spoiler alert: it's not exactly these -admittedly gorgeous- Guccis...)




new look sandals via asos
First off, I ordered these... I feel in love with the Gucci mules they are inspired by (ahem) and went looking for a great replica all over, but I couldn't find the padded strap detail that I think makes the shoe, so when I finally found these I was really excited. These were cheap and looked great (hopefully in person, too). The slightly lower heel was my only hesitation, but I actually checked out a super stylish lady rocking a very similar shorter-heeled pair in Barcelona with some sort of midi dress and she completely sold me on the look --plus they're bound to be more walkable. Fingers crossed!

My other big unfulfilled obsession this summer was a printed, boho-y, midi or maxi dress, with sleeves, ideally wrap or with a v-neck, that would work equally well in the summer with sandals and in the winter with boots. I haven't found it yet as I'm so specific about every detail --but I think this change of tastes says a lot about where fashion is going in general. Two years ago I would never have gone for that kind of thing as I was in a monochromatic, minimalist phase --but now that stark minimalism has begun to look boring and as fashion turns to nostalgic and even kitch aesthetics, I find myself opting for more colour and things that will make my look less somber, sober and austere. Here are a couple of options from Mango that I've bookmarked from now...


mango dress
mango dress


I've scored myself what I'm convinced is the perfect suede mini skirt (another big obsession of mine, by the way... when leather skirts were all the rage about three or four years ago, I didn't buy into the trend as I couldn't find one that looked flattering on at the vintage stores where I looked... Now, I'm so happy I waited. Taking the time to find something that you're completely in love with rather than something to temporarily fill a gap created by a passing trend is, I think, the key to developing a style of your own that you feel good in and which means your wardrobe will survive the passing of the season without dragging you into an fashion identity crisis --and it doesn't mean you can't have a taste of what's 'now'...). You saw me wear it with an oversize jumper last week, but I've also been wearing it paired with this striped blue-and-white polo neck for a little bit of colour clashing. And double braids. And my denim biker over it.


wearing second-hand tommy hilfiger jacket, h&m top,
 zara skirt, adidas trainers
Now that I'm starting to think of how I'm going to wear my skirt the winter. I've been wanting over-the-knee boots since last year and had already checked these out, but they're definitely not cheap, and so for now I'm still admiring them from afar and trying to think of ways to make the money to buy them. This year & Other Stories have brought out  two more versions I also like: a completely flat one --I wonder if it's a better option, as I always worry that a heel with a short skirt is too 'out there' for me-- and a leather one which I think is gorgeous albeit even more expensive. Over the knee bots a little bit tricky to style, but I think they would go perfectly with this type of skirt (or the dress above, ehem) --which style do you prefer?

& other stories boots 
& other stories boots



I've also been warming up to bomber jackets --they've been around for years now and I thought they would be a very brief trend but they seem to have established themselves as a staple casual jacket. Like my vintage padded flannel shirt, a bomber can make an outfit a bit more cool and 'street' --and it's also great to jacket that's not 'precious', the kind of thing you can crumple into your backpack, tie around your waist and even leave at the club wardrobe and not cry if it falls on the floor/gets lost (I would still cry though; in fact, I once left said padded flannel, which I paid all of 2,5 euros for at a market in Amsterdam, behind at a club and went back the next day to get it. It's not about money value, it's emotional attachment ;)) I'm not sure I'll end up going for one, but if I were on the market for a mid-season jacket this would probably be the style I'd get.

For now, my go-to transitional weather jacket has been my denim biker --it's great for layering and can dress down or toughen up a boring or formal-looking outfit. I've been dreaming of adding a classic leather biker to my collection as I think it's one of the most versatile, instantly-cool jackets you can have. But because virtually everyone owns one (and because it's a bit of an investment) I'm set on finding the best that I can find on a reasonable budget (otherwise I'll live in doubt and regret every time I see someone with a better one): no tacky hardware, a nice texture, a flattering fit... So this is more of a long-term project.

trying on a leather jacket at zara

Other bits I love

weekday coat --on sale
My love for long coats is never sated and I love a belted one. Winter is coming.

& Other Stories is having a midseason sale and I'll definitely pop into the Barcelona store to have a look --I have my eye on these shorts, which I really like because they don't reveal any butt cheeks and are a little bit looser yet sexy --a hard balance to achieve.

I also love this bra, which also comes with matching bottoms. Lately I've started to really detest padded bras, because even the thinnest one creates this unnatural, frankly kind of weirdly perfect shape -like my boobs are orange halves stuck to my chest. I used to think it's nice to create such a symmetrical shape. But now I find it kind of prudish that we feel the need to create an artificial line to replace the hint of --oh heavens!-- a real body underneath our clothes. These days I much prefer delicate unpadded bras with an underwire, which work with my natural shape and are much prettier!
other stories shorts on sale
other stories bra on sale




VoilĂ ... what's on the top of your list this season? 






No comments:

Post a Comment