
Let’s all take a minute to talk about vegetables. I don’t know about you, but I recently found myself stuck in a vegetable rut: I was always buying the same vegetables -and then usually making the same dishes with them, too! So when I saw a weird root the size of a baby’s head (turns out it’s celery root) in the supermarket shelf I thought it was time for a challenge! (more on veggie challenges coming soon)
It turns out that this challenge to try something new was really easy, and I’m glad I did it because celeriac is yummy! It tastes a bit like sweet radish. I used it in a soup and it was really nice, but then, when I was at my dad’s during the holidays, the real revelation took place. My stepmom served us celeriac mash, and that blew my mind! I’m proud to announce that I was able to replicate it quite successfully and it’s actually really easy to make, not to mention delicious, healthy, and cheap!
All you do is peel and roughly dice a celeriac and a potato or two, then put them in a pot and put enough water to go halfway up the vegetables. Cover with a lid (important) and let the vegetables cook/steam until they’re soft, then take the lid off and let almost all the liquid boil off. My stepmom explained that if you drain the vegetables, you lose all the flavour in the cooking water, so boil it off instead. Then just mash the vegetables by hand, adding a big knob of butter and maybe some olive oil, too. Salt and pepper according to taste. VoilĂ ! Promise you’ll try it?
No comments:
Post a Comment