Monday, 15 February 2016

Ice Cream for Breakfast!

Ha, that title got you, didn't it? I'm not even kidding though.

The thing is, I really like starting my day off with a breakfast that is jam-packed with healthy goodness (so I can have all the wine and chocolate later, haha). At the same time, I often use breakfast as an incentive to get myself out of bed, and there are days when I need a particularly sweet and tempting incentive to get out of said bed...

In other words, I want to have my cake and eat it too, and as it turns out, I've discovered that ice cream and a healthy breakfast are not so irreconcileable after all...

healthy raspberry chocolate semi freddo ice cream banana cacao powder avocado breakfast vegan


Raspberry-chocolate semi-freddo

I love this flavour combination because it reminds me of some amazing chocolate truffles that my dad used to buy us: they were made out of dark chocolate, and when you bit them you got an intense hit of raspberry. I still think this is one of the most sophisticated flavour combinations ever, so this recipe re-creates that deep chocolatey flavour melding with the slightly tart, aromatic hit from the raspberries.
healthy raspberry chocolate semi freddo ice cream banana cacao powder avocado breakfast vegan

This healthy ice cream does not contain any actual cream or sugar. That said, it's creamy, satisfyingly melt-in-your-mouth, and just the right amount of sweet. And you can have it for breakfast (or at any other time of the day), guilt-free, because it's packed with fruit, fiber, and a little bit of healthy fat from the avocado, which makes it creamy. It only takes five minutes to make and is guaranteed to make you feel good -I could go on and on about how each ingredient in this is amazing for you, but I'll just shut up and let you try this for yourself!


Ingredients 
healthy raspberry chocolate semi freddo ice cream banana cacao powder avocado breakfast vegan(makes a rather small bowl, so feel free to double this!)

1 generous handful frozen raspberries
1 very heaped tsp cocoa powder (or half the amount if you're using raw cacao powder)
1 frozen banana (I freeze it in pieces so it's easier to blend)
1/4 of an avocado
1-2 tsp honey (or agave syrup), to taste
a splash of almond or any other plant milk, as required


Method
Combine all ingredients and blend until completely combined and smooth. Adjust the sweetness, chocolaty-ness and consistency if required and you're done!

I sprinkled my bowl with hemp seeds because I happened to have them and they look pretty and they add a little protein to my breakfast, but you can enjoy your ice cream as it is, or add any other toppings you fancy and make it look Instagram-worthy. Enjoy!


1 comment: