Tuesday, 9 February 2016

The perfect...


Today's outfit is about one of my biggest (fashion-related) afflictions -which at the same time is, as these things usually are, one of the things that make me who I am.


simple basics outfit perfect white tee tshirt silk scarf as belt, tailored pants trousers outift pitcure fashion style blogger



Put very simply, I set my mind on the perfect version of something I want, especially with basics. I'll refuse to settle for any less than a fully ticked list of requirements. 

I'll stalk clothes online, I try them on in the store, occasionally I'll buy or order something only to decide, once I have it at home, that it's just not good enough and return it... This exhausting and often frustrating process can last for months: it happened when I was looking for the perfect pair of boots, and it happened to me with one of the simplest things ever: the perfect white tee.

You'd think it's easy enough to find a store that sells a white tee... But no, for me it has to be V-necked, the right thickness of cotton, the perfect cut and not a cheap-looking one that will last three washes... Eventually, I usually end up settling, especially when needs must. I just bought -not without apprehension- this white tee from Weekday, and I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations.


simple basics outfit perfect white tee tshirt silk scarf as belt, tailored pants trousers outift pitcure fashion style blogger
weekday tee, vintage silk scarf (worn as top hereand pants

Paired with my dressy pants -I love how versatile they are!-, it makes for the perfect starting point for many occasions. For a weekend museum visit in Rotterdam, I added white sneakers, a red lip and -why not?- double buns for a more casual and quirky take on what are essentially two very classic, 'serious' basics -in fact, I'm planning on dressing up this look with heels for an upcoming interview, for a change from my last interview look.

I think these trousers with a clean-looking top is appropriate but looks less contrived than a proper shirt, or a traditional blazer, would, while heels will help lend a more formal touch. I also like how the scarf that I'm using as a belt (I've previously discussed the many uses of a silk scarf here, remember?) adds some colour, but also makes the outfit look polished and a little more structured.... What do you think?  


simple basics outfit perfect white tee tshirt silk scarf as belt, tailored pants trousers outift pitcure fashion style blogger
wearing zara cashmere sweater, weekday tee, vintage silk scarf and pants, adidas stan smiths


While I seem to have found a white Tshirt that I like, some things on my 'perfect basics' list remain stubbornly uncrossed. I ordered a perfect-looking pair of oxford shoes from the online zara sale -I was even willing to overlook the tassel detail that distinguished them from the true classic design that I love. But when they arrived, the fit wasn't good, the leather was too tough, and they just didn't look right, so back they went. Imagine my frustration after having already imagined all the outfits that I would wear with my supposedly-perfect new shoes -though I guess I only have myself to blame!

'Lace-up shoes' remains on my list, and although there's more of them out there than I can count right now, I never seem to find any that I'm completely satisfied with... Could it be that it's because none live up to the Church's Burwood brogues that I secretly have in the back of my mind?

Do you have the same problem as me? And if you do what's your perfect version of them -and have you found them? Who knows, maybe we can help each other...

simple basics outfit perfect white tee tshirt silk scarf as belt, tailored pants trousers outift pitcure fashion style blogger
handmade coat (my grandma made it, apparently?!), Rotterdam doorway, pictures courtesy of the lovely Yana


No comments:

Post a Comment