Monday, 14 April 2014

Let's talk about hair

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? Some thoughts on hair.

1. I'm in need of a haircut, but I really love the way my hair gradually gets lighter towards the bottom and I'm afraid that the mean hairdresser will chop that all off :/

2. Elaborating on my passing comment about how my hair looked worse in a picture from September: I remember I was washing my hair every two/three days then, and I'd just washed and straightened my hair for the event, but my hair decided to go into frizzball mode. But lately, I've realized that my hair seems to look better when it's unwashed (as in, not freshly washed. Nobody's hair looks nice when greasy!). In fact, I've been washing my hair only once a week for a few months now -I spaced out the washes, washing my hair only when it got greasy. Now my hair gets greasy much slower*, and it looks and feels much healthier, shinier, and less of a dry, frizzy mass. All I do is brush it whenever the ends get tangled (it also helps distribute the natural oils your scalp produces). And I'm using much less shampoo now, so the environment is also happy!
These pictures were taken on a Friday, I'd washed my hair the Sunday before, and I hadn't styled my hair at all (only added some hair oil to the ends) -you be the judge. I'm not saying you should do the same, but it's worth considering, no?



*In general, the more often you wash your hair, the more you strip your scalp of its natural oils, making your scalp produce more to compensate, which in turn makes your hair greasier, faster -so it's actually a vain circle that I've tried to break away from. I did some online research and the next step seems to be eliminating shampoo completely (the so-called 'no poo', where you only wash your hair with baking soda and apple cider), but right now that feels like a step too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment