Saturday, 5 April 2014

Inspiring people in fashion

There's a lot of things that I don't like about the fashion industry, but as I'm starting to learn a little bit more about it (thanks internet!), I discover many things that inspire me. Besides the pure aesthetics of fashion which are pretty inspiring on their own, I've discovered a few people whom I admire and appreciate because of what they do and how they do it.


One of the first people I came across is Scott Schuman, the photographer behind The Sartorialist, which is much more than a streetstyle blog: he doesn't only photograph couture-clad fashion editors, but people with striking, unique style, regardless of whether they're on a farm or outside the Dior show. He also makes every photogaph beautiful and artistic in itself, and often he'll photograph a face or a small detail that caught his attention. Oh, and he has also published two books with streetstyle photography.



Incidentally (or not), his girlfiriend Garance Doré is also amazing: she's a photographer and artist and she runs her own blog on fashion, style, being a woman and much, much more. What I love about her is her candid, humorous approach: she tells it like it is and doesn't take herself too seriously. And the visuals of her blog (from the design to her photographs and illustrations) are incredible. She's a real inspiration and so down to earth.



I also like The Man Repeller, founded by Leandra Medine, for its humorous/satiric articles on fashion, style, popular culture and woman-ness.






Finally, I consider Ivania Carpio from Love Aesthetics* a true inspiration. She has her very own unique (life)style and vision as well as the drive to execute it, and on top of that she has very strong fashion and journalism ethics. In a world such as fashion, such people are both refreshing and much-needed. I ran into her in Weekday once and she was really nice and down to earth :)




*she just switched from a blog to her own webpage, so some of the info is still missing, but check her 'ethics' section when she updates it!

No comments:

Post a Comment