Friday, 11 April 2014

What to do with a (silk) scarf

My mother keeps literally everything, so it's always fun to rummage through her clothes and discover things from the past. Another thing about her is that she's always keen on giving me her stuff. I'd say that a good quarter of my wardrobe used to belong to my mom... come on, I can't be the only one! One of the things I got from one of these closet incursions was a printed silk scarf. I liked the print and, OK, let's face it, silk is very silky: you just wanna stroke it for hours... The only problem is that I don't wear scarves -unless we're talking about the kind you'd wear to protect yourself from the cold-... and I'm also not that big on print. So apart from the couple of times I wore it as a tie in high school*, I've never worn it as a (real) scarf.

However, over the years I've gotten creative and figured out many different ways of wearing/using a scarf for other purposes, so I hope you're ready. Go on, grab that scarf you never wear (it doesn't have to be silk or anything, I'm just fancy like that :P) and:

-wear it as a top** (tie it tightly and wear a strapless bra!) This was a dress-up party hence the big earrings to go with it, but I think that this could be weareable in real life too -keep the rest of the outfit minimal, wear with something high-waisted and a lot of confidence!



-wear it on your head as a turban or a bandana... Come on, if Carrie did it, so can you. It's also great for hiding bad hair ;)

-tie it around your wrist... Carrie ties hers around her arm.

-use it instead of a belt -this is one of my favourite ways, just pull it through your jeans' loops and voilĂ  -a moderate injection of colour!***

-you could tie it on your handbag, though it's not my thing...

-wear it rolled around your neck under a shirt -classy and warm. I've still got to pin down exactly how my literature professor does his, but I won't stop trying till I get it right!




*I was into ties for a while. But I'd wear them over a tank top, and it would look, well, like a wannabe version of Avril Lavigne... Yeah. Moving on.

**This is a pretty straightforward one, but the internet is full of ideas on how to make spectacular top out of a scarf. Google is your friend!

***You know I'm all about moderation when it comes to colour ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment