Sunday, 24 November 2013

Going out

image


I’m wearing: zara t-shirt, weekday jeans. h&m coat, zara pumps and DIY clutch. Thanks to E. for taking these pictures!

Lately, when I go out, it’s not about being pretty and girly in twirly skirts and colours and shit. Instead, it’s about clean, powerful lines and minimalism. Personally, I find myself much more confident in such an outfit; I feel like myself, not like I’m impersonating a princess -and that, I think, is what makes it sexy in my opinion. This is not a manifesto against dresses, I’m only making the point that wearing clothes that aren’t the most feminine (black jeans, a t-shirt, a mannish coat) in such a way that is so boldly and unmistakably feminine makes me feel empowered  instead of flashy and frivolous.

image


If you’re interested in finding out more about the femininity discussion and where I get some of my ideas underlying what I write here, look up Judith Butler. She’s a very important gender studies scholar and proposed, among other things, that gender is a social contruction and not an essence we are born with. She argues that our gender and sexual identity is only the result of our performing it; and there are many ways of doing that. But don’t just take my word for it; Parker’s Critical Theory textbook (a must-read introduction to literary and cultural studies) has a useful intro on Butler and on gender studies in general.

image


A close-up to show you my self-made clutch. Isn’t it beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment