Friday, 14 June 2013

Balance

image


top: thrifted (from marbles vintage: pricier, but has really nice things), jeans: massimo dutti, shoes: salvatore ferragamo (I also wore my black blazer over this, but obviously I took it off as soon as I got there so no point in photographing it -OK, I actually forgot to…)

…everything needs balance, as my ancient Greek ancestors used to say. I applied their wise words while choosing an outfit to go out: OK, I want to wear high heels, let’s stay classy and covered up and not wear tiny shorts. I think this is a nice balance between sexy and modest as well as casual -jeans- and smart -slightly dressier top and heels. (Haha, the dress code where I was going actually said smart/casual.)

image


By the way, my hair (which I’m quite of proud of in these pictures) is done the only way I know of making my hair manageable without using styling tools. And I shall share my ‘secret’:

I brush my hair well, and sometimes I add some serum/olive oil diluted with water on my ends (because I have dry hair). Then I comb that through with my fingers and grab all my hair into a low ponytail and start twisting it at the ends with the other hand, until it starts forming a bun. I kind of arrange it circularly into the bun and then I use a hairband around the base to keep it in place (a couple bobby pins will also do). I leave it like this for a few hours, either during the day (it looks like a simple chignon) or while I’m sleeping, and when I undo it and shake out my hair, it’s smooth on top, and wavy at the ends -not unlike my natural hair but nicer and far less frizzy! (I really hope this all makes sense!)


image


And the shoes… these were my graduation shoes, and as much as I like them, particularly from the side, I wish they were a more neutral colour. I find gold too flashy -I actually don’t like wearing nail polish when I wear these, because that makes them even flashier and is kind of kitchy in my eyes, but I had no time to take it off!. And the gold colour also makes these shoes much harder to ‘dress down’… but I think they worked quite well with the cuffed jeans -next time (maybe when it’s warmer…) I’ll try pairing them with a day dress.


And finally, what would a perspective shot-style picture be without my hair getting in the way?

image

No comments:

Post a Comment