Monday, 18 March 2013

Chop it yourself

image

top: DIY from unidentified old hand-me-down, skirt: vintage (mom’s), blazer: thrifted, tights: fogal (because apparently when we wear fancy tights we list them!), booties: h&m

Look at how serene I look. This is what happens when your vision becomes reality.

How it started:

image

I saw Ivania wear a white polo neck crop top in her blog a few days ago and I loved it! Obviously I had to have one  like that. I found it on the asos website, but then I thought I already had a black sleeveless polo neck top that I almost never wore because it was too short (for normal-length tops anyway!)… so I thought, why the hell not make it a (free) DIY?

I calculated how much I wanted to shorten it, and decided to do 5 cm. first, then tried it on again and decided on chopping off an extra 5 cm. -I was feeling brave :D. Anyways, the way I did it was I smoothed it against a flat surface and measured the length I wanted to cut off from the bottom on both sides. Then I marked the lengths and used my measuring tape (for lack of a ruler) and a coloured pencil to connect them with a line, so that I would cut straighter. (It’d be better  to use chalk though, especially on a light-coloured top) Then I made the cut, and voila! Obviously I did this whole thing right before going out so hemming was out of the question, but I washed the top and the hem is holding so far!

And because I don’t throw anything away, ever, I used one of the leftover circles of fabric to make an armband, over which I placed my watch. If only I’d remembered to take a close-up picture of that! I’ will next time.

I wish I had another white one though… I could wear it with my black blazer and sort of re-create her look, but with a lot of other things as well. Maybe I’ll treat myself ;)

image

image



Anyways, ever since I saw the crop polo neck I knew I’d want to wear one with my grey skirt, and the occasion (bar outing) thankfully presented itself. I wished, wished, wished I had black pointed high-heeled pumps (remember the ones by zara?), they would have gone perfectly with this minimalist outfit… But I am a student on a budget so I can’t buy shoes that won’t get worn more than once a month… I settled on my eternal wedge booties (and tights, because it’s still cold, not that the tights are very warm  anyways but still). And the blazer for the same practical reasons, although despite the fact that it kills a bit of the sexiness of the outfit I think it looks cool.

However, I didn’t let that ruin my mood,  and after I took these pictures my friend lent me the most amazing pink lipstick to wear. I don’t think I’ve even worn pink lipstick before, I’m always weary of slipping into Barbie territory, but this lipstick I tell you was perfect, and because my clothes were really sober, it worked great. (I am patting myself on the back now). Otherwise, I did my face as usual and used liquid eyeliner on my eyes. And for the finishing touch, something I do about 3 times a year: I blow-dried my hair straight :)


No comments:

Post a Comment