Sunday, 3 March 2013

The age of innocence

image

This image (which I saw in -and cut out from- Vogue) makes  me so nostalgic… I just feel that  even 8 years before, things were so dramatically different, teenagers didn’t dress ‘sophisticated’ but with a very simplistic, young, unconcerned and innocent approach to clothing… and this also translates into the life they led: they didn’t aspire, as we in many ways do to become mini-adults; they accepted that they were different and took pride in it, thinking themselves rebels. That was the year before  all of my classmates and I demanded a cell phone from our parents. Before -for me at least-we were hooked on the internet. When I escaped my homework by reading a book (whereas today I read books as homework and waste my time online during my free time). When you would just go to the park. No phone, no internet… just some music, food, a book, friends… sometimes I wish I could do this more often -just slow my life down and enjoy. And I wonder: what will be of the generation of my kid sisters? To them, doing this will seem tedious, an inconceivable waste of time. Just lie on the grass and close your eyes? What’s the point?

My generation -myself included-glorifies the internet, but hasn’t it taken so much away from us -or rather, haven’t we let it?

Or am I the old-fashioned fart here, at the tender age of 18 (and a half)?…

No comments:

Post a Comment